I've been trying to post to Planet's development mailing list because I've found a bug. It moderates posts from non-subscribers, and I can't see any other way to report a bug. So I'll report it here, and hopefully someone will spot it. I've asked Jeff separately to approve the post, but haven't had any luck -- he's a bloody busy guy, so fair enough.
Here's the bug report:
Hi folks. For some time I've noticed that feeds slurped from planets, which are in turn using my old-format, link to non-existent URLs. For example, if you look at planet.slug.org.au and grab the RSS, you get this: <item> <title>Simon Rumble: Crazy Egg rocks</title> <guid>http://www.rumble.net/blog/Crazy_Egg</guid> <link>http://www.rumble.net/blog/index.cgi/geek/Crazy_Egg.html</link> <description>[snipped for clarity]</description> <pubDate>Mon, 22 Oct 2007 05:13:13 +0000</pubDate> </item> Now the contents of the <guid> element is just plain wrong, if used as a URL. The contents of <link> are, in fact, correct. Now if you look at the RSS 0.91 I'm sending at http://www.rumble.net/blog/index.cgi?flav=rss you see this: <item> <title>Crazy Egg rocks</title> <link>http://www.rumble.net/blog/index.cgi/2007/10/22#Crazy_Egg</link> <description>[snipped for clarity]</description> </item> Or if you grab the RSS 2.0 I'm sending at http://www.rumble.net/blog/index.cgi?flav=rss20 you see this: <item> <title>Crazy Egg rocks</title> <link>http://www.rumble.net/blog/index.cgi/geek/Crazy_Egg.html</link> <description>[snipped for clarity]</description> <author>Simon Rumble <email@example.com></author> <category>/geek</category> <pubDate>22 Oct 2007 05:13:13 UTC</pubDate> <guid isPermaLink="false">Crazy_Egg</guid> </item> Now if you look at the spec, guid is meant to be a unique identifier. If the "isPermaLink" property is true (or not specified), it's also the URL that can be used for the item. So the RSS readers are interpretting this correctly. However, I don't know how Planet is concocting these guids, and they shouldn't be putting the isPermaLink property on regardless. The blog software I'm using is blosxom -- so I suspect this isn't an isolated incident. You can also see this same example manifest in the RSS 2.0 of planet.gllug.org.au I'm not on this list, so if you want any further details, copy me in.